View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #23
Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
You're on the right path. I'd go (went) sealed to eliminate contamination from taking out the bearing. The bearing in most of the Boxsters out there costs about $6.00 retail.
In doing more research I have selected sealed as well. The grease in the bearing I have selected is one of the best greases SKF makes and will last 6,000ish hours at the temperatures this bearing will see, worst case scenario with engine at max temp and 7000 RPM continuously. (GPF 4, n*dm 329,000, temp 120c see diagram 1 at below link.) So, there is really no advantage to opening the bearing to the engine oil that I can see given the grease is good for 200k miles minimum, I/e the engine is at max temperature/max RPM its entire life. If it is more normal usage with more average temps and engine speeds, 10,000+ hours is more likely. I want to keep the grease intact as long as I possibly can, oil may wash it out a bit over the life of the bearing, but the longer it hangs in there the better off I'll be. Huge side bonus is keeping the contaminants out. No random flake of metal can trash my entire engine via an open bearing sitting in sump oil.

Grease life for capped bearings

Last edited by Silber; 07-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Silber is offline   Reply With Quote