Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #16
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
Here is one example of a procedure:

IMS Bearing Pulling Tool

this is also a good read from the same page:

Sourcing Your Own Porsche IMS Bearing

I diverge with him in that I am using a polymer cage based on its material properties being suitable for the temperatures seen in the Boxster engine.

Would I have preferred stainless or brass cage, probably. However, the polymer SKF uses absorbs lubricant, so can prevent failure in an oil starvation scenario. The material properties of PA66 glass reinforced Resin are such that the life of the cage should be longer than the life of the car, even at the temperatures seen in the Porsche engine.
I think I should point out that, in my opinion, he was extremely lucky the pilot bearing tool held, as they are not designed for this type of load. We know of two cases where the center bolt failed during extraction and the owners resorted to this tool. When the fingers on this type of tool failed, we ended up with the cars to extract the bearing by other means.

As for using an off the shelf bearing, it is your car and your money. I can tell you that the hybrid ceramic design that LN uses is made exclusively for them, and cannot be sourced.

Over the years, several people have tried all sorts of replacement bearings. Some have worked, others not so much. As a shop, we have to go with what we know works, and leave the experimentation to those with the time and the nerve to assume the risk.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-20-2017 at 08:35 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote