View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #18
Maxhouse97

6 spd

I think one of the main issues I have to figure out is this 6-speed thing (the sole subject of my other post in the performance section - but no one has replied yet).

With the 6-spee/PASM (if you didn't HAVE to get PASM w/ it, I wouldn't even think twice) the price goes up $2680. After that, and all of the other "S" make up options (wheels, sound system, sport steering wheel) you do get within striking distance of the S. So I could skip the 6-speed and probably end up spending 50 grand (MSRP), or dive all the way in, say "oh the S isn't that much more" and spend $57.3k (have to have xenons and metallic paint). Big difference.

I said it before, every sports car today has a 6-speed. S2000, any M (SMG has 7), vette, even the miata. I know 5 speeds are nice to drive and that you rarely have to use them all, but to me it just seems like a wasted opportunity to use some gearing to increase the performance of your car - i.e. free hp w/ better gas mileage to boot (6th gear is taller than 5spd 5th).

I'll post the content of my other post here for convienence:

Just thinking of getting a 07 987 w/ the 6-speed (which you can ONLY get w/ PASM). Does anyone have any performance numbers of the new 245hp Base Boxster w/ the 6-speed? I would think that it would be faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the 5-speed due to better gearing - and have better gas mileage as well, which is already impressive (base Cayman is listed at 23/32). I have read that it has a higher top speed (not important). Thing is any respectable sports car these days comes w/ 6 speeds and not 5. Also there is a pretty big jump in gear ratios from 3rd to 4th on the base 5 speed.

Does anyone have a base Boxster w/ the 6 speed that can vouch for the engine/trans combo? It is an $2680 option (again w/ PASM) so I just want to know if it is worth it.

Thanks,

Tony
Maxhouse97 is offline   Reply With Quote