View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
EPIQTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
I visited my dealer and was told what no boxster wants to hear - I have about 2k left on my tires. OK, so I began to research tires, and am buried in information and advice, and totally confused. Tire Rack tells me that there is no downside to putting non-spec tires on the car, but to check with my dealer. The dealer says that the car is setup for OEM tires and that I should continue with either Michelin, Pirelli, or Continentals. That's fine, but there are many other excellently rated (Goodyear F1 Eagles, etc.) available that are much less expensive. I could sure use some advice ..............
I've had both types of tires, and lived to tell the tale. Non N-rated tires won't kill you, or your car, they just aren't approved by Porsche, which is to say Porsche doesn't get the $20 kickback per tire from the tire manufacturer for pushing that type of tire. Anyway, if you don't want N-rated, get something else. Porsche can't test every single X-through-Z rated tire out there and give approval of it, so go based on what reviews you've heard. I've tried Kumho ECSTA 712's and they worked just fine - super cheap, too. I've also done the unthinkable and put S-02A's on my car instead of the Porsche-approved (and identical) S-03's. Dealers are supposed to tell you to get Porsche approved tires, what would you expect them to say?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote