View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubert View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I wonder if the 2.5 is an on/off mode or variable like yours. I cant seem to get Durametric to read cam deviation. It always says 0 degrees for bank 1 and 3 degrees for bank 2. I wish I could get a good reading.

I am pretty sure I don't have a hard timing issue like a skipped tooth as it's running fine now. No codes any more. It was a temporary thing and "fixed" itself after about 3 miles.

It seems to act properly when I manually activate the actuator on and off via durametric so maybe the solenoid didnt release or the actuator was stuck somehow. Also, I just had the oil pan off 2 days before to add an X51 baffle and it was 100% clean, no debris.

I also suspected the MAF but wouldnt that affect all cylinders? This was just bank 2 and it threw cods on all three cyl at the same time. At this point it's not failing anymore so I have to wait till it acts up again.

I just wanted to get a better understanding how it works so I can better diagnose when it happens again.
Yours is a VarioCam system, which is a simple "on/off" single advance system; there is no "progression" as is found in the later VarioCam+ system. These systems are known to malfunction if the rather small oil passage gets blocked by a small chunk of debris, which is probably what happened in your case. If it does not return, you should be fine.