View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
chubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
The Variocam on my 2001 S actuates progressively and reaches full advance before 3000 rpm.But it must be a warm engine.
In my limited experience ,I have noticed other Boxsters (inc mine) have more deviation on one bank than the other. Weaker/worn chain tensioner on one side??
In theory the solenoid can fail intermittently(Connections?) or gradually and the oilways in the actuator can plug with debris.That may be your issue?
You might want to confirm the basic timing of the cams is correct (green plugs) ?
If you need a more comprehensive discussion, it was covered in detail on Renntech recently.But try the simple diagnostics first in my experience with Variocam.There is an Ohm test, a click test, and others that involve fabricating test harnesses .Do every test you can find before deciding to remove cam covers ! For example do a road test & use a passenger to monitor with Durametric live data for Angles in Actual Values on both Banks simultaneously.You can log the results.

Thanks for the ideas. I wonder if the 2.5 is an on/off mode or variable like yours. I cant seem to get Durametric to read cam deviation. It always says 0 degrees for bank 1 and 3 degrees for bank 2. I wish I could get a good reading.

I am pretty sure I don't have a hard timing issue like a skipped tooth as it's running fine now. No codes any more. It was a temporary thing and "fixed" itself after about 3 miles.

It seems to act properly when I manually activate the actuator on and off via durametric so maybe the solenoid didnt release or the actuator was stuck somehow. Also, I just had the oil pan off 2 days before to add an X51 baffle and it was 100% clean, no debris.

I also suspected the MAF but wouldnt that affect all cylinders? This was just bank 2 and it threw cods on all three cyl at the same time. At this point it's not failing anymore so I have to wait till it acts up again.

I just wanted to get a better understanding how it works so I can better diagnose when it happens again.
chubert is offline   Reply With Quote