View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
jeepdad

Garage
Took the 986 to an independent

shop here in Missouri last week after my engine light came on at 116,000 miles. After looking it over, the shop noted: "engine oil coming out of the bell housing -- could be flywheel seal or sealing at IMS bearing caused by IMS bearing failure coming up." True, over a period of a couple weeks a half-dollar size spot of oil/residue will collect on the garage floor under the rear/left side of the car. I informed the shop of this when I took the car in, so they were looking for it.

Otherwise, the car has been running great. There were no metal shavings in the oil filter when they checked it, but the mechanic said this may not be indicative of the issue. I was quoted $2,600 for IMS ceramic bearing, new clutch, labor, etc.

I opted not to go ahead with the repair at this time. The shop cleared the warning lights and I drove the car home. Today, I decided to drive the car to work and the engine light came back on. I assumed the shop checked the codes, but they did not communicate this to me last week when they looked at it.

My car is a 1999 with, I assume, a double-row bearing. I've been told it's fairly rare for these to fail. What would your next step be?

Thanks in advance.