View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
would it be easier to just fabricate a smaller sump (or a dry sump) and mount the engine a little lower in the bay and avoid the cutting, etc.?
I have never fabricated a sump. I have cut up cars.
For me and for a car that will not be going back to an M96, cutting is easy. Weld on a little reinforcement or bolt on rear strut bar if I cut into structure.

Can the Audi V8 be made to fit without cutting? I think so. Look at what Kent (Kcpaz) did with the custom intake manifold and front mounted throttle body. Beautiful engineering.
If you drop it much lower, I think the transmission will have to be mounted lower as well. The height of my engine placement is based on standard mounting of the 5-speed transmission. What I like about the Audi 4.2L and 2.7 tt swaps is that they bolt directly to the unmodified transmission.

Here's a pic of what I was hoping for before I bolted the transmission on. It almost fit other than the IAC valve.