View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
B6T

I've been researching this swap for over a year now. My goal would be to achieve factory-like integration with no cutting or irreversible modifications done to the Boxster.

I think the minimum requirements to swap an Audi V8 into a non-S (5-speed) Boxster you could get away with would be an engine cradle, and a conversion harness between the Audi engine and the Boxster body harness. Obviously air, exhaust and coolant plumbing as well. You likely wouldn't need to cut up the car anywhere.

Based on the measurements I've seen the belt drive V8s aren't any longer than the M96s when measured from the crank pulley back to the transmission mounting flange. The chain drive V8s (i.e. B6 S4) would be less so (but there are issues with those engines). The issue is with the height of the engine which causes an interference between the engine cover and the throttle body... at least based on the pictures I've seen on the interweb.

There are probably communication issues between the body ECU and the engine ECU that would dictate the use of arduino based signal conversion modules to ensure functions like the PSM and the speedometer work. However, both are Motronic based to begin with at least, which is more that you can say for the LS engines, so there is a likelihood that these are non-issues depending on which year Boxster and year V8 you end up with (and what revision Motronic each has).

When I swapped a 2.7tt into my B6 A4 (2003) the engine and body ECUs were close enough in Motronic versions that all functions worked just like factory. The car was smogged through the OBD port, traction control and stability control worked and controlled engine output accordingly, all speed sensors from the engine controlled the tachometer and vehicle speed sensors fed into the engine ECU properly.. The only thing that didn't integrate properly was cruise control, but I could have wired in an older control stalk to fix that issue. But I sold the car. If the V8 swapped into the Boxster in the same way it would be a piece of cake, but from what I've seen online so far, this isn't the case.

If anyone in Ontario has a hoist and wants to do this to their car, I'll design the parts, get them fabricated, and do the wiring. You supply the V8 and the Boxster (preferably a later model 986).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....just drop your Box off at Flat 6 and let Jake Raby build you an engine.

Simple.

I can't afford to spend $20,000 to get 300hp out of my M96.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote