View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #53
Nine8Six

TRK – thanks for jumping in bud! One of the main challenge for this project is to have this Porsche Infotainment working OOTB. If not priority #1, then its #1.1. General public access. Some notes below RE scalability and advantages (in Greek, beware).
  1. All of the commercial devices available today comes with drivers that are “tested & signed” for windows. E.g. cameras, microphones, odb, hands-free this & that. On a Linux architecture (for instance), then you’d need to rely on that group of developer to write the drivers for Linux, if none avail from mfg at the first place. Will all those work!? I can easily picture that same product SPF aka cheap LED problem coming up again (Single Point of Failure).

I want to: stop by my IT shop > buy a $15 Mini WiFi Keyboard w/backlighting > connect > and instantly having fun.

2. You are new to all this and want to write your own MP3 player? Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition is entirely FREE. I’d like to think that Microsoft is gifted with a pretty well established KB loll You have tutorials & blogs w/ source code for the Beginners up to full access to their class libraries (Experts). All of this material isn’t written in frenchglish I assure you. So plenty of material and availability for ‘everyone’. Fun!

3. Developers and/or manufacturers aren’t excluded. At all in fact, just aim for the latest .NET framework, or Python, there are a few others IDE also. You can compile in pretty much anything you want using the native Microsoft; C/++, C#, VB, SQL,ASP,….. can’t remember them all, or can do cloud based/web app shall you prefer to use other language libraries, or even if you prefer to host/compute the backend to your solutions yourself! Anyone’s choice these day really.
Could go on. So as it being ‘windows’ or in terms of scalability, I don’t see that part being a major failure “yet”.