View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
MikeMcMo

Garage
Thanks, everybody.

My main interest in having lights on (DRLs or otherwise) is safety, as statistics and common sense indicate that it keeps you safer on the road. (Illinois law only requires lights during daytime while you're using wipers.) I'm more than a little surprised that any automaker, especially Porsche, would engineer stock headlights that destroy themselves. In looking at cars for decades, I haven't seen this before.

Thanks for the help with the search. I read every thread and post from the first page of results, and, as with everything on the internet, if you look long enough, you find the answer, and then if you keep looking, you find contradictions. On one hand, it looks like there's no predictor for whose lenses get burned and whose don't, with the stock setup. On the other hand, it looks like if you stick to 55watts, you will not cook your lenses. Keeping in mind that few people without problems would bother to post, and most Boxster owners aren't on the forum, I'd love to be able to discern whether it was some random unknown factor or if there is a 1:1 correlation between hours of usage and melting lenses.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote