View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
I'm annoyed. I was doing a brake/clutch flush today, and jacked up the back end to get to the clutch bleeder. I had the Motive power bleeder hooked up so of course the frunk was open. Suddenly the hood struts gave and the hood smashed down on top of the Motive cap on the brake fluid reservoir. Oh well, lift up the hood and get on with life, right? No, now I have a ding in the hood.

I was also worried about the brake fluid reservoir being damaged, but it seems dry all around and no obvious cracks.

I suspect the struts are losing their holding power after 16 years. So you older Boxster owners be wary of this and put some extra support in when you've got the frunk open and the ass end high.
Maybe a paintless dent guy can fix that hood ding.

I just replaced my front trunk support struts and have rear ones on order. In my case I put a broomstick in to hold up the frunk lid and it was just long enough to bend that side of the hood up, my body shop fixed that for me though. I have found the cheapest place for front and rear trunk support struts is Amazon for the Stabilus/Sachs brand, which I think is OEM - I paid about $45 per pair for front and rear with free shipping.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote