Thread: slalom noise
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #31
CrisZenithBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Even if non-adjustable, I'll bet those a-arm to frame bolts will have some slop. The rubber bushings being replaced may have taken on a set, the manufacturing tolerances of the replacement arms will never be completely consistent, resulting in dimensions being slightly off from the old ones. Any changes in effective control arm length will be amplified by potentially severe, tire-eating toe-in/toe-out angle changes, which is the main concern if you have decent tires that you care about making last. If you want to check just one thing, I'd check toe. If you don't care much about tire wear, of course, your call to forego the alignment.

I got a "lifetime" alignment for my p-car, because I expect to do a bit more suspension work going forward. I was shocked at how far off the alignment was even after trying to put things back together as they came off. Although, I suppose it's possible that YMMV. I seem to recall you've already done some suspension work, so you know the drill. Nice job tracking down the torn bushing, by the way! Good luck.

I see what you're saying and I JUST put on a fresh set of Hankook RS4 that I'm trying to make last so I'll most likely swing by the alignment place(for the 4th time this year ).

This is what happened to my front RS3s with about 10k miles on them.

They still had tread on them:

I made a claim with tirerack and they passed it on to the manufacturer who calls it "ozone weather cracking" so they will reimburse me for part of the price based on the tread left. Still waiting to see how much, they came and picked up the old tires.

The tires were on the car for 8 months maybe. Driven hard and autocrossed a few times. I guess these softer compound tires dont do too well with lots of heat cycles. Good thing i spotted the cracks and will be getting some $$ back.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote