Thread: IMS tell tale
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #52
That986

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Well, if you just look at the numbers on this board, for instance, the results show 10% failure rate:

Poll:IMS related engine failure
That poll shows 6 failures, i've not a clue how many members are in this forum but that doesn't equal 10% unless there's only 60 members.

So really it does still come back to hearsay which is why Porsche more than likely stopped talking about it.

My thoughts: stop hyping this up beyond what it really is (a small percentage of failures), offer the solutions and let people take their choice because the lack of real stats and figures says everything. To base a decision on whether to buy a car based on whether the IMS bearing has been changed or not to me is crazy as it might be the most cared for car you've just passed on. And how do we know that these "upgrades" really are that? On one thread i saw a choice of replacement bearings with one having a lifetime of 50000 miles, why is there a choice when really you just want one bulletproof solution? That just sounds like marketing to me and how do they know it lasts 50000 miles, has it been tested to that and then exploded?
Give people the stats and let them make their mind up, let's get past the paranoia.

Last edited by That986; 05-15-2017 at 10:40 PM.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote