Thread: IMS tell tale
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #41
That986

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Oh for f**k sake.

It's unbelievable how much this whole IMS issue has been and still is continuing to be blown out of proportion. Every time I see a thread I think "Oh for god sake here we go again". Yes the bearings have a design flaw, yes there's been people who have had them fail, but they're more prone to failing on cars that aren't being driven where the bearing isn't lubricated as often as it should be, causing it to dry up, resulting in cracked seals, leaking its grease, to which it heats up and fails.

Yes Porsche should have been a bit smarter about the design but it's seriously not as bad as everyone says it is. I've seen a few people with over 200,000 miles on theirs (one with 300,000) that didn't even know what an IMS bearing was. Yes IMS bearings have failed, but the fact of the matter is, no matter how much everyone harps on about it, in comparison to the amount of engines with this bearing, the failures are rare.

It's like plane crashes - you only hear about them as they rarely happen and people end up being scared of flying, where as no one gives a crap about the amount of planes that don't have a single problem day in day out.

More importantly, as well as this, there are multiple people on here who have changed their bearing, and the new one has failed on them. So what do you do?

As said, if there are no oil leaks, no signs of wear and the oil filter is completely clean, drive it and enjoy it, but don't garage queen it. Make sure you drive it often and use the rev range, which is key to having no problems in these cars. I think everyone has given him all the info he needs now, so he can either go and change it, or he can just drive the car.

Shall we drop this damn topic again? The amount of threads on this is crazy and every question about it has been answered over and over and over again and it's getting embarrassing.
I'm in total agreement, get out and drive it. Love the plane analogy and if you've ever stood at Heathrow and watched the amount of traffic in and out of there it boggles the mind. I can also guarantee there a lot of people out there with older cars that haven't even heard of an IMS or care about it that just drive their car day in, day out.

Nobody is saying the failures aren't there (they obviously are) but I would put money on there being another similarity running between all the failures i.e: not warmed up before revving the engine, only driven very occasionally, long interval oil changes.... I'm obviously guessing at things here but to just blanket say "they just fail and it's a when not if" seems a bit far fetched to me.

Last edited by That986; 05-15-2017 at 01:01 AM.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote