View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #263
itsnotanova

It's been awhile since my last update and a lot has happen. A few months ago I had to remove the 3.4 out because green chunks were showing up in the filter and the lifters were very loud. I then installed a 3.2 motor I pulled from a flooded boxster. The 3.2 ran great and held oil pressure the whole time I was using it. It felt as powerful as the 3.4 it replaced. With the 3.4 out, I decided to let a friend look at it and see what he finds. He calls me back and tells me the lifters were soft and the tensioner guides looked bad but that was about it. I wasn't really looking forward to spending another $2000 in parts for the 3.4. I then decided to use the tensioners (along with new guides) and lifters from the 3.2 for the 3.4. The 3.4 had a new L&N pro, water pump and clutch disc. I figure I'll get the 3.4 back in and save the 3.2 for another day when I want to build a high horsepower motor. Guess which guides have 39k and which set has 55k? One from each set is missing from the pic

The 39K are on the bottom! That's what can happen to a motor sitting around with old oil. The O-rings inside the tensioners and guides were deteriorating. The chain ramps looked fine though. I'm guessing the soft lifters had lesson the power a lot as the 3.4 feels a little stronger than before. In the process of installing the motor I had cracked the oil fill tube and had to go back and replace it. I tried from the front but quickly decided to pull the engine harness forward and get the hose clamp from that angle. It's real easy to remove from that spot versus trying to reach in the engine bay