Thread: IMS tell tale
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #19
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Only true for interference engines. For non-interference engines this is not a catastrohic issue, more of an inconvenience. Memories of a 1980 Volvo wagon which ate its timing belt at 30k miles and fortunately suffered no ill effects.

And the timing belt maintenance is in the owners manual when you buy a car. I haven't found the section in my manual where it specifies the interval for replacing the IMS.

Has Porsche ever come out and defined this service interval, or do they just let owners discover it on their own? I don't use the dealership for more than parts -- has anyone ever had a dealer recommend an IMS replacement proactively?
The reason or that is that according to Porsche, you cannot change the IMS without taking the engine apart on any M96 or M97 engine, and as they do not let their techs take engines apart, you simply are billed for a factory replacement engine. Solves their problem, and yours, well, sort of anyway...........