View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #19
Need_for_speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymkmkrz View Post
I have had 3 M96 cars and never had an issue. All told close to 300k miles over all three. I had one engine rebuilt but that was for performance, as it had no issues at the time. It may be a wear item, not saying it isn't, but not sure why I haven't had the problem. I've had most of the known maintenance problems. No engine failures but I got IMS taken care of as soon as there was a fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish I had your luck! Not sure why you haven't experienced any issues with these as well. There's actually been quite a bit posted on this forum and others about these wear pads, and not taking care of the issue gradually leads to a worsening list of problems. At some point, the cam deviations will lead to a CEL. If you continue to ignore the issue, the pads will wear completely through, and the chain starts to run directly on the timing chain tensioner ($1k each). At some point, maybe as your punching it down an on-ramp, or on the front straight on a DE day, the chain tensioner will not be able to keep up and the motor will slip timing.

My indie is a certified LN IMS installer, and he won't touch the car with a replacement IMS unless cam deviations have been corrected.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote