Thread: Sold the Neon
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Sold the Neon

I originally bought an 05 Neon as a loaner for my son while I did some major maintenance on his Passat. It's been good to have a cheap 4-door automatic around for short drives and bad weather. I thought I might drive it 'till it died without having to worry about maintenance. It has had a misfire at idle in cyl 4 with ~70% low compression, but didn't seem to get any worse. It was fine 'till I got a second Cayenne, now there's just no room. I almost gave it away, but decided to have a little Craigslist fun:

Text from the ad:
Quote:
"Need a cheap car to get around town? 4 doors and good AC?
2005 Dodge Neon for Six Hundred cash obo, but the bo should be pretty near $600 if you expect to buy it.
Only 93,xxx miles. From the looks of things they have been pretty hard miles.
It runs and drives.
Heat and AC work.
The doors open and close, lock and unlock.
Windows go up and Down.
Lights are fine.
It has some fairly new parts on it and plenty of original ones still there.
Right now the gas tank is about full, so that's another plus.
On the maybe not-so-plus side...
It has a misfire at idle in cylinder 4.
What does that mean? There is a check engine light and the engine runs a little rough at a stop. Not stalling, smoking, or making terrible sounds - just a little shaky. This car may still be (this) good for quite a while, or it may need repairs soon. During the time I've had it, it has not gotten any worse.
I'll expect that it will be good cheap car for a while still, but I'm generally optimistic about things. I'll feel bad if it quickly dies on you, but I'm keeping the money.

Right now the trunk is full of flattened cardboard boxes. I plan to drop them off for recycling soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Trades? I already have way too much stuff, so probably not. I don't even really care about the $600 that much, but I can think of same ways to have $600 worth of fun with a car, so that's the price.

Thanks

PS... if your email looks like typical CL spam replies, I'll probably ignore it.

end note: These are the worst pictures I have ever taken of a car. It will actually look better in person. "
Listed around midnight, I had a dozen urgent buyers lined up by morning. Sold it (at a discount) to a young single mom who rode about 2 hours to get it. I hope it serves her well.