Old 05-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
Evening Guys

I'm replacing the duel mass flywheel.

My questions is once the bolts are torqued to 19ftlb
How critical is it in getting the extra 120 degree
If your off a couple of degrees one way or another is it OK?

Please chime in.

Thanks Bart
The object of the +120 degrees is to get a pre determined amount of bolt stretch. While some seem to feel it's accuracy is unimportant, I'm afraid that I cannot agree. Specs exist for a reason, in this case clamping force and bolt life; and with more and more OEM's using single use fasteners with "+angle" specs, measuring this is an everyday fact of life in the shop.

Two methods exsist for correctly measuring this unit; the first are the "torque angle" torque wrenches, which are capable of reading both in ft. Lbs. and then torque angle. This is what we use everyday. The second "poor man's" method is to put two small reference dots on each flywheel bolt hole with a sharpie; the first is a "zero" mark, the second is 120 degrees further in the bolt rotation. Install the flywheel, and torque each flywheel bolt to its spec. Now add another dot, this time aligning the "zero" reference dot on the flywheel with the new dot on the bolt. Once marked, you can now see when the bolt reaches the +120 reference mark on the flywheel. Simple, quick, and very accurate......