View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
DaveNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
DaveNW

I started with the 101 Projects Book (written by the founder of Pelican parts who own this website) and then bought a copy of the Bentley Book. Lastly I got a copy of the Porsche service manuals (in PDF form) which I keep on my iPad. It's a lot handier than toting around the 15 volume set.

For the 101 Projects book, order it directly from Pelican. You won't find it cheaper (new).

For the Bentley book, get it on Amazon. They had the best price for it. I bought the hardcover version (I think there is also a soft cover version). It was selling for less on Amazon than used ones on ebay.

I would also check the FOR SALE section on this forum in case anyone is selling used copies.

For the factory service manuals, I would use the link that someone else posted earlier (the one that points to ebay) to get a digital copy. The only other place I think you can get a set is a printed set from Porsche (and the printed ones are very expensive).

Of the three books, I think the 101 Projects book is my favorite. It shows (with lots of pictures) how to fix and maintain most of the things you will run into on your car.

Lastly, don't forget to use the SEARCH function of these forums. There's tons of information here you won't find in any book!

Thanks everyone for the tips! I ordered the 101 Projects book yesterday. I don't have any pressing need for any service manuals, but I'm one of those guys who likes to be aware of problems so if/when they do come up, I'll have an idea how to handle them. The other books you recommend will be ordered later.

Does anyone happen to know what sort of computers the CD posted upthread works on? I have a Mac, and would hate to unearth a five year old Windows computer just so I could try and read a disk. EDIT: Never mind. The linked website says it works on all operating systems. I presume that also means Macs. I just ordered the disk, too.

Dave

Last edited by DaveNW; 05-04-2017 at 07:40 PM.
DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote