View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #8
That986

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
And what is a toothed belt? Timing chain? Some kinda pulley?

My engine is misfiring?

Thanks for all input. I'm at a loss here. The mechanic still hasn't seen my car yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You don't have a toothed belt, you have timing chains. It sounds like in the rebuild the mechanic hasn't lined them up properly and the timing is slightly out which will in turn make the valves open at the wrong time.

Because of that you will get horrible mpg and if you keep driving you could do a lot more damage depending on when in the cycle it's igniting. If it's pre-igniting before the piston fully compresses that's real bad and you will end up burning things, if it's post-igniting then it's not so bad and you'll just feel a loss of power as most of the mixture has been sucked away down the exhaust valve and you'll just end up killing your cats. Ideally an engine should ignite the mix as the piston has just started it's downwards travel and has compressed the mix to make the nice big bang we know and love. Anything either side of that (especially if it ignites on the way up) is bad news.

If your car did have a toothed belt it would be as easy as popping the belt off, lining everything up and putting it back on. But seeing as you don't i would be getting that mechanic out to tow that car back to his garage and sort it out.

Last edited by That986; 05-04-2017 at 07:02 AM.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote