View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
If you heard a ripping metallic snap from the engine as you took off your IMS cover, that was the engine losing timing, and that's bad, meaning a lot of work. The valve springs are trying to rotate the camshafts if the engine is not set to zero timing. When the timing chains get loose, the cams can rotate their sprockets under the chains making that terrible noise and you've lost valve timing (ask me how I know).

If the engine has not made that terrible noise I'd go with your plan of loosening the tensioners a little and trying to get the cover back on. Once the cover is back on, tighten the tensioners then rotate to zero timing. If your going to mess with the IMS bearing it's best to lock the camshafts and the crankshaft, just remember to remove the locks before rotatiing the engine. The engine "locks" are really just rotation stops, you don't want to use them to resist you trying to turn the engine over, they can break.

+1 on what JFP said, you'll want to check, and possibly adjust your valve timing after this little adventure as well.