View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
Hi i recently bought a 1997 boxster with issues .
One of the issues was a leaky IMS cover . I mistakingly thought i could take the cover off and replace the seals and put it back on. I have since read about the locking of the cams and rotation to TDC.
My question is , Is this neccessary if i am not removing the bearings ?
Obviously the whole assembly is resting off ctr now , which is common anyway i understand.
Can i just release tension on the chain tensioners a couple of turns and refit the cover again.
Cheers for your comments .

DP
You may already be in trouble. Anytime the IMS flange cover is removed, the engine has to be rotated to TDC and locked in place; then on your engine because it is a five chain version, you needed to lock the exhaust cam on the passenger's side before removing the shaft tensioners and the flange cover. If this had been done, the shaft would have remained centered. As yours is now off center, the engine may or may not have jumped time.

You can try totally removing the three accessible tensioners to see if the shaft re-centers itself, but even if it does and you get the cover back on, you need to check the cam positions before starting or even rotating the engine,

Good luck..................