View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Javi,
Got your PM and will respond shortly. From the picture that you posted, yours is not great, but likely repairable. I have definitely repaired worse and felt that they would be reliable. Almost any of them can be saved, it is just a question of time and effort. Actually the one in my car was one of the worst that I have seen yet, with so much corrosion and mold from sitting with power applied for a long time that you could barely make out the components. I got it working, but replaced it with one from Woody just because the damage was so extensive that I didn't trust it. Generally, if it looks like it would take more than a few hours of work I think that you are better off with a replacement like the one from 78F350. You can repair corroded traces, but it isn't always possible to identify traces that are damaged, but still intact enough to work now. That can lead to questionable future reliability. I draw the line on repairs at $300, as at that point you can usually find a good used replacement and program it for the same amount. New ones cost a bit more. Usually repairs are $150-$250. These aren't big money makers for me, as I almost always have much more time into them than I charge for.

I could definitely swap the data from yours to the one 78F350 has.

The part that takes time on these is that to get everything properly cleaned the relays (and often connectors) need to be removed from the PCB and tested, and the corroded traces beneath them must be repaired. After the parts are removed, it can be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath and with other chemicals to remove the metal salts that are on the board from the dissolved traces and components, then the damage can be repaired, protective coatings applied where needed and components replaced. You cannot repair water damage without removing parts.

Steve

Last edited by Qmulus; 04-24-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote