View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #42
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
I might be OK with the mileage service life, because I'll never put 50K on it...I don't understand the 5 year part...Does the ceramic dissolve after 5 years? I can't imagine having to replace the bearing every 5 years, after only putting 10K miles on the car...
I think they put the year/mileage service life recommendation on there to 1) limit their liability, and 2) encourage you to buy another in the future, to continue their revenue stream. They are supposed to be better built than the factory ones. One guy on another forum (MarcW) has over 300k miles on his 02 Box with the original factory IMS bearing. The whole car from the factory has a 4 year / 50k mile warranty, but the IMS is still good after 300k miles/15 yrs, so that number they attach to the part doesn't mean much.

I've got an 01 with 73k miles, and original IMS. Does that mean my factory bearing is a 16 yr service interval bearing? Don't worry so much about the service life figure. It just means that they think the Pro bearing will last longer.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-14-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote