View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Nevergrowup

Thanks!

OK, kids are in bed. Well, at least the little one. So, let's get down to business!

The first I did was painting the calipers. And I had seen a car here on the forum that was saved by one of the members (can't remember who) which had the Porsche logo under the intake. I liked that so I blatantly copied it:

I'm also quite into car audio, so the stock unit had to go. I'm planning on replacing speakers and possibly the amp later on, but for now I settled with installing a double DIN unit, and moving the air con unit to the bottom. And whoa! That was a pain in the ass to get those wires and connectors through the hole in the metal bracket! I almost cried and gave up!

Along with the head unit I also installed a backup camera. You can barely see it here, above the licence plate:

The tail lights were clear and red, and I liked the smoked and red lights better, but instead of buying new ones I bought some smoked wrap foil and covered half of the light. I think it came out pretty good.

I used the car through the winter, but the stock wheels which had snow tires on were quite tattered and dull, so I gave them a rattlecan makeover:

The stripe is actually a rubber strip with sticky tape in the inside, but the profile of the stripe didn't quite match the profile of the edge of the rim so I guess it didn't stick properly. Anyway, my wife drove it on the freeway and flap-flap-flap-whoosh! There it went! The stripe, that is. So I tore the other three off, and I'll paint the stripe on instead before next winter.

I had a set of 7x15 teledials after the 911, so I test fitted them and used them while the other set was 'refurbished'. Here they are on when I was getting the christmas tree:

(Actually, that's not true. I thought it would make a good picture. I really stuck the tree in there while parked in my driveway.)

The fitment was so close that the balance weights actually touched the corner of the calipers! So, not really recommended.

OK, spring finally came along here in south east of Norway, and I get itchy to 'modify' or 'personalize' som more. I've always thought the headlights to be too big, and giving the car a surprised look. I've seen some aftermarket headlights and trim, but nothing I really fancied. I got hold of some high quality masking tape. The blue, plastic kind which is elastic, and went to town on the headlights. Felt like Chip Foose while i laid out a nice curved stripe aound the perimiter. Then I sanded and painted, and finished up with clear coating:

As you can see in the pic of the rear above, the licence plate surround was faded and ugly, so while I had the rattle can out I painted those as well. The Porsche center logo was still visible, so I took some Martini vinyl I had gotten off ebay for another car, and placed on the bottom of them both to get some color. And then I thought about the rear spoiler which isn't very visible on a black car, so I did this. Not sure I'll keep it, but I think it's kinda fun:

If you look closely you can see it's not quite aligned, though. Oh well...

During the winter I had trouble deciding what to do with the summer wheels. I went back and forth. Black? Black with silver lip? Nah...

I decided to do this:

Another rattle can refurbish. The barrel is black, the rest is bronze, all covered in clear coat.

They appear very brown in the shade, but glow up in the sunlight.

Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote