View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
mikefocke

I sold a 2001S (so presumably the second generation worst single row bearing) and no caller asked me about the IMS. I sold the car 5 years ago but the IMS was well known by then. I got three calls in response to a simple 3-line CL with no pictures ad and they were begging for the car. Sold for cash in 4 hours. In August IIRC.

There are two potential types of buyers, those that do the forums and know all the issues and want the IMS and a PPI. And the others who want simply a Porsche. Your target is the latter.

Price it right, advertise it simply and see what happens as the spring warming happens. Be truthful to the callers, don't volunteer.

(My 2001S is 5 years older than when I sold it, 32k more miles, still on the original IMS as are most P-cars of the same era. Can it happen...sure can and awful if it does. But at a 1% probability in the next year, you are just as likely to total it.)

Would I have done it if I had kept it? Yea, probably. But I drove it in critical situations in preference over a Honda.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote