View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
356Guy

I've been shopping for a Boxster for a few months now. I sense that sellers are tired of people asking about the IMS. Buyers are educated and know of the issue. Sellers claim their car doesn't need it. I've heard a number of times that "their car doesn't have IMS issues". Obviously that is not how it works. That said, at least up north here, even cars with IMS bearings done aren't selling quickly. Especially the cars priced above $20k Cdn / 15k in USD. Every car I have been watching has remained unsold except a few of the cheaper 00-02 cars that seemed like bargains and a couple of well priced low mile 987s. Spring is upon us and more cars are coming on the market daily. Perhaps there will start to sell soon.

As a buyer it doesn't make sense to buy a car and then spend 20% or more of its value doing the clutch and IMS plus whatever else it needs. As a seller its questionable you will get any return on it other than making the car more attractive to buyers. Perhaps this is just the result of the cars getting long in the tooth. The locally indy shop told me not to worry about the IMS bearing that way I could decide which one to install. I could go on an on Still Boxsterless in Canada.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote