View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
Boxster_S_girl

Can I share the stories of the two Boxster I no longer own?

I've been a car fanatic and Porsche aficionado for as long as I can remember. Almost 10 years ago (oh.. wow.) and still early-ish in my professional career, I was in the market for a newer car to officially indoctrinate me as a newly minted yuppy. In my budget I was looking at G35 and G37 coupes, thinking Porsche would be out of reach. I was test driving a G37 at an Infiniti dealer, looked over and saw a base Cayman in the pre-owned lot. For fun, I asked to drive it and the sale associate said he'd never seen anyone smile as much as I did on that drive. Adding 987s to my search, I found an '06S, in a color combo I loved and wheels I loved. I visited the dealer, and bought it on the spot.

Fast forward about 5 years later and I had just started grad school. Work and school consumed absolutely every second of my time and I started to worry about upcoming repairs with an out-of-warranty Porsche (not to mention the inability to commute to school--nevermind that she had NEVER once been in the shop for unscheduled maintenance, not once). I decided it made more sense to trade her in for an fully warrantied, off-the-lot, 20-mile 981. And so I did...

The irony is, the 981 was in the shop more every 3-6 months of ownership than the 987 EVER was...

As an epilogue: about a year ago it was time to renew the 981's registration. I did, and I received the tags. The next time I went to apply the tags and drive the car, I realized (and completely out of circumstance) it had been three months. Work and personal travel (and a daily driver) made for a very pretty $tatic model. I amortized the wheel time with running costs... I just couldn't stomach it. I could almost periodically RENT a Lamborghini for a day for less money. So, she had to go...

Now, I'm in the market for a 986 to AX/DE! I figure, 90% of the car at 10% of the cost.
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote