View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 05:51 AM   #128
jcslocum
Project Addicted

For those that have any interest:

Last Monday she started for the first time in 12 years!! I have about 12 months of work in her.

Yesterday was my day to get some of the final things finished up and see if Vivian is a runner and a DRIVER!! Nothing too big to do really; install front brake lines and bleed/flush them out. The brake pads are old but thick. Kinda like me :-) Bled the new clutch line too. I installed a new SS one from JAE.

I had to fix the throttle cable to the carbs and for that I had to make my own barrel pinch thingy. So I found a piece of 3/8" bar cut it and drilled it for a 5mm bolt. I used and Allen bolt but that was a mistake! It should have been a hex head bolt. Would have been so much easier to tighten, live and learn...

I figured that the clutch was gonna be super stuck to the flywheel, so with low expectations set, I fired her up (starts instantly) let her warm for a 20 seconds, pushed the clutch in and tried for a gear, cringing in advance... Well my fears were unfounded!! It slipped right into gear and rocked forward . I went for reverse, which was quite hard to find so there may be adjustments needed. I finally got it in and it rocked backwards. The clutch works and so does the shifter.

My mind started to spin about driving here and I wondered where the local police patrol was... No plates or registration. I have insurance tho. Next was to move all of the CRAP that had built up behind the car so I could open the door and get her outside under her own power for the first time in 12 years. I moved all my junk, climbed in thru the pass door and over the console into the drivers seat. Started her up and backed her out. I pulled her around to the drive entrance, looked WAY up and down the street for my local popo and drove her up to the gas station. I put a little bit more than 1/2 tank in her (10 gallons) and checked closely for leaks. All good in the gas department.

Across the street is a self car wash and it was off to the car was! 12 quarters and most of the 12 years of dirt and dust were gone and she looked MUCH better.

The paint looks better than it really is. She's a good 5 footer.

The Box is running/driving great. No issues to report other than satisfaction.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote