View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Perfectlap

P.s.
In between autocross and track days I recommend you do two things.
1. Watch on board YouTube videos from your local autocorss venues. Pause the video quickly each time you spot the cone two gates ahead and quickly resume the video. Count each corner to make a mental note of the number of times you will need to brake or lift. Do this dozens of times until you can replay the lap in your mind without having to watch the video. This trains your eyes to avoid target fixation (the gate in front of you vs. the second gate). Then repeat the process with a different autocross video. What you'll find is that most venues can only configure the course so many ways because of size limitations. You'll have a hairpin turn, a slalom, a three pin, a six pin, Chicago box, etc. Before long you've driven every possible course configuration and can piece together the course in your head quickly.
Driving fast is 99% driving with your eyes, your arms follow and then your wrists. I think Ayrton Senna said that. Trying to learn all this just when your on an actual lap in the car will slow down your progresss. I know that open wheel racing teams are drilling their newbie racers in the simulator for thousands of miles before they even make their first real lap. See Jann Mardenborough.

2- if you have a game console, doesnt have to be any of the newer ones, get one of those Gran Turismo games. Instead of playing it watch the replay videos of the license tests. From what I understand this is taken from the actual telemetry/data logger of professional drivers on real laps. You'll see where their braking points are for that partucular car, where you should be on corner entry, apex, exit, etc. All that telemetry is displayed. When you go back to your driving books it will be much easier to visualize.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-31-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote