View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
jakeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasjmac View Post
The car is not street legal ... not registered, and trailered to all events.
Now you tell us! (This would have been good information to know about 3 posts earlier. It will definitely affect your optimal tire selection!)

Since you aren't driving on public roads, and can use the car as purely a track toy, please scratch all my previous advise on dot-legal tires, yada yada yada.

You actually do want, as your title suggests, and honest-to-goodness racing slick. Give throught to whether bias ply might be acceptable, or if you'll need a radial. Bias ply will handle "differently", and the car was not really designed for it. But oh man, will you have grip. An honest-to-goodness racing slick should grip more, last longer, and cost much less than a dot-legal option.

Really, the only racing slick I have experience with is Goodyear eagle. Funny enough, as your thread title suggests, they are not available in 17"! They do come in 16", and 18". You could look at other brands of racing slicks, or change your wheel diameters to a size that is compatible with available racing slicks. 16" wheels I've heard, will fit over front Boxster base brakes, but not "S" brakes. You might not to get a custom, lighteright racing wheel in custom dimensions to go with your slicks.
Goodyear Race Tires || Sports Car

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Goodyear_Sports_Catalog_2015.pdf

Honest-to-goodness (non-dot compliant) racing tires are sized a bit differently than dot tire sizing. Here's how the sizing works:
DOT tire sizing:
Tire width (in mm) / section ratio (in percent) R rim diameter (in inches)

Non-DOT tire sizing:
Tire outside diameter (in inches) x Tire width (in inches) - rim diameter (in inches)

Maybe someone else who has more experience using non-dot P-car slicks can chime in with a suggestion. Hope that helps, and best of luck!