View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #13
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Time, patience, and the ability to hang on. In 1976, a new 914 was 5-6K. In the mid to late 80's running cars were under $500. Now, a decent 914 is $10-12K with the really nice ones fetching a lot more. The 986 will have it's day... in about 15-20 years.
+1 to what Jfro said. IMHO, we're still at least 10 years out to see any material appreciation in the 986.

I have a good friend who has been in the high end 'preowned' car business forever. His philosophy is that any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Every once in a while, someone is looking for something really specific and is willing to pay for it (he gets a lot of specific search requests), but generally the market is what the market is, and there are simply too many 986s still on the road.

Decent E36 (92-97 MYs) M3s are firmly in the low-mid teens now with $7,000 low end cars and $25,000 high end outliers. A market about on par with the 986. I love my 986 but I'm realistic about what I own. It's a great driver that I enjoy and maintain without worrying about its value or perceived prestige.

Currently, the 986 still suffers from what I call the Lotus Esprit syndrome. A buyer seeking a 'prestige marque' snags one of the many low priced examples available (ooww, I can buy a 'Porch'), fails to maintain it (because they can't afford or don't care to) and runs it into the ground. The market will grind through this cycle until only real survivor (or resurrected) examples remain. Not until then will the 986 experience any appreciable gain in market value.

Man, I wish winter would give it up, I'm ready to drive
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-27-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote