View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
tomonomics

Garage
Drewman, apologies if I sounded harsh, but if you read many of the FAQ and posts here from new owners, you would find that ~$3000 repair bill is not at all uncommon if you are not doing your own wrenching on a 986 (you have a 987, so I'm not sure if the same applies, but I assume it probably does). You didn't give us much details in regards to the car you purchased: if you had a PPI before you purchased the car, if the previous owner had already done most of the required maintenance (with receipts), etc. But you should have anticipated that it was a very good possibility that it would be $3000 or $4000 for a shop to bring the car up to current maintenance. Clutch, IMS, brakes, suspension, etc are all on the table for a 12 year old car, even if it only has 50k miles. It all depends on the previous owner(s) and how good they were with maintenance.

Your last post leads me to believe the original estimate included the water pump, etc. so I'm not sure where the additional labor costs came from. As someone else here said, posting the detail of the repair bill would allow us to better gauge if the mechanic just padded the bill.

At the very least, it sounds like you paid less than $12k for a 987 w/~50k miles, so you probably got a good deal assuming it was at least minimally maintained. But again, based on what you've told us, if your budget was a tight $14k, you likely bought the wrong car. Just my .02 - I wish you well and hope you can keep it.

Last edited by tomonomics; 03-23-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: edited to change 997 to 987! I wish 997's were going for under $15k
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote