View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
drewman75

Tomonomics. I think that is a little unfair for you to make that statement. I should have somehow anticipated getting ripped off and so not bought the car? Its not just the $1300. I was expecting it come in under $2k based on research. And it should have and his initial estimate was close. I just bought the car in November. No one expects to pay $3500 (almost 30% what I bought the car for) four months after buying a car. My wife humored me and agreed to this purchase based on a certain amount. I certainly expected over a couple years I would have to put some additional money into the car. But not that much right after purchase. We have college funds and kid expenses to consider. I have had a Porsche previously. Moons ago I had a 944 that was a complete money pit. I ended up spending more repairing it in two years than I paid for it. So I'm a little gun shy when it comes to this sort of thing. Difference is that back then I didn't have a wife and kids. So could I keep the car? Sure I could. But after this, it's just not worth it to me anymore. That was money better spent elsewhere that was earmarked for other things and now in the back of my mind, I wonder what goes next. Is this money pit part 2. And are shops more dishonest now and willing rip people off than back in the day. Back then I had a great mechanic. He didn't over charge me. The car was just a pit.

In regards to the estimate, it was done after it was on the lift, the under panels removed and we inspected it together. I know a thing or two about cars. I'm not completely dumb to the subject. The estimate was based on the service, the water pump and therm. Nothing changed except his estimate increase a couple hours later. And then the final price increased again when I picked it up. No additional work was performed that wasn't discussed or included in the original estimate. The only thing additional was his continuing to raise the price. And again, the point of this is that I know there are a lot of new owners on these boards like me and this is all uncharted territory for them too. One expects to be able to trust PCA and other enthusiast recommendations. So if my mistakes and experience can save another newbie here from making the same mistakes I did, then that is the point. Isn't that part of what these boards are for. Not telling people they shouldn't have bought the car in the first place because they got ripped off. But sharing information.

Last edited by drewman75; 03-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.
drewman75 is offline   Reply With Quote