View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
drewman75

Unhappy Question about independent shops - Did I get ripped off?

Hi All,
Just looking for thoughts on this. I needed some maintenance interval work done plus a new water pump. I decided to use a pretty well regarded shop here locally instead of the dealer to avoid the ridiculous labor charges. The estimate was verbal (my first mistake). I was trusting because of the reputation. And then hours later he called and increased the estimate by $1000. But what am I to do at that point since he has my car and is already working on it. So I felt like I couldn't say anything at that point. Figured when I got the bill I would discuss it. However, much to my surprise, when I got my $3500 ($200 more than then the 'adjusted' estimate) bill for a 'major' maintenance and water pump/ therm replacement, they charged me almost $1700 in labor. Basically did what the dealer does and charge the Porsche 'recommended' labor hours regardless of how much time it took. So basically I paid 14 hours of labor when they had my car for about 6.5 hours. Shame on me for not asking. Nothing I can do about it. But I expected an honest transaction since they came well regarded and I have never in the past had an independent shop do that to me. I have always been charged hours worked. I mean isn't that the entire point of skipping the dealer and using an independent? Anyway, just looking for thoughts? Am I wrong in my thinking? I suppose I just learned a ridiculously expensive lesson since I basically now have to sell the car since it put me way in the hole. But just curious of others experiences and if I got ripped off or if this is now standard practice. Been a while since I have used an indy shop. I felt like I couldn't argue the point since it was my fault for making the assumption and not asking about how they charge labor. And with that in mind, I certainly doubt I have an form of recourse.

Last edited by drewman75; 03-23-2017 at 07:24 AM.
drewman75 is offline   Reply With Quote