View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #31
P_Carfahrer
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
Nice and low miles, wonder why it needed a clutch a few years ago from your earlier findings.
I think the PO was advised to do the clutch while an RMS was done. There were multiple service events where she was charged large amounts of money for random items where I think she was taken advantage of. The clutch not being one of them.

When I arrived at the dealership, the service manager gave me a line about how programming the immobilizer sometimes doesn’t work, something else might be wrong, etc., and that he has seen it take up to two days to get it working. While this is true it is most likely a rarity. He wanted me to leave the car with them but I told him it is on my trailer as it doesn’t run without the immobilizer working and that wasn’t possible.

I ended up backing the trailer into a service bay after some discussion as it was raining (water is no longer entering) and immediately opened the Boxster driver door and removed the seat (previously unbolted) and placed it on the fender of the trailer. The old immobilizer was also already removed and I had the new immobilizer and keys sitting in the seat well.

Shortly after the service technician brought out his PST-2 and plugged in the new unit and completed the programming the car fired right up!! It ran pretty rough and died twice but stayed running after that but was still running pretty rough. The gas gauge was pretty low and I thought the rough running was a result of sitting for a period of time and having old gas. I mentioned it to the tech and he thought that could likely be the issue. The service manager only charged me for 15 minutes of labor to complete the programming as maybe he realized, based on my preparation, that I knew he was trying to snow job me in our initial conversation to be able to pad the labor for the job a little.

On the way home I filled the car up completely to dilute the old gas and I also added Sea Foam to the tank. After unloading the car I drove it for about 10 minutes and by the time I brought it back home it was running pretty well. The brakes feel awful and sound terrible though.

The Boxster now sits in my garage having been given a reprieve and a new lease on life and is eagerly awaiting its new future. It has no idea..

P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote