View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
Giller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikan View Post
At 90K miles, pulled the cheap bearing, and found a little play in it, but nowhere near failure. Most of the posts at the time from the experienced guys seemed to indicate that for some reason, tiptronic cars don't fail as often as manual cars. Probably has to do with the fact gas pedals don't get buried to the floor as often with an automatic as "popping the clutch" cars...who knows!
What I do know is I would never do 4K ( and it will be more, trust me on this one) on a 14 year old car, until I have to! Boxster's won't be classics worth a million like some of the cars cousins. There are other things that fail and can be just as catastrophic, dollar wise, to recover from.
A used power plant can be had from any number of breakers, and I dare say complete with tiptronic, it can be bought for around 4K. put that plant into tip top shape, and when ( or if) yours goes belly up, you can put it in and go another 10 years!! Is what I plan to do if mine dies again!
What this guy said +1.