View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
DaveNW

Fixing the IMS Bearing - or not?

How do you decide when or whether to bite the bullet and fix the IMS bearing issue? If a car is showing no symptoms of failure, does that mean it's not likely, or is catastrophe right around the corner?

I have a 2002 Boxster S Tiptronic. It only has 52K gentle miles on it, and is in excellent condition. Regular maintenance for the last seven years that I've known the car, including regular oil changes, and presumed good maintenance before that. In the most recent oil change, about two weeks ago, there was no sign at all of metal in the filter. All good signs, right?

Or is it? Am I courting disaster by not investing in the overhaul, or should I suck it up and get it done? How do you decide? I intend to keep this car for a long time, and want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for financial disaster. My mechanic is quoting me about $4000 for the IMS Solution, including labor. (He says since it's an automatic he has to drop both the engine and transmission to get to the IMS bearing. True?)

What's your experience?

Dave
DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote