View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Nmbrsix

I've had an NA Miata R-Package that I sold to buy the 986S.

My Miata had the Flyin' Miata Stage 1.5 suspension, chassis rail braces, butterfly brace, Hard Dog roll bar, 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza ZII's on 7.5" wide wheels, and a bunch of other stuff done.

My 986S has had a comprehensive suspension refresh (with all worn components replaced), new Bilsteins at all 4 corners with new hardware, and new Continental ExtremeContact Sports installed on the OEM 18" wheels.

The Miata had much more 'go-kart' handling feel compared to the Porsche. It also was much more of a momentum car. It wasn't fun on the freeway; one reason I sold it was it was tiresome to drive any distance at speed. But it would attack lower speed corners with ferocity.

The Boxster definitely feels heavier (which it is), and the midengine layout is very different; you feel the car rotating around the center of the car (where a majority of the weight is) unlike the Miata. The Boxster is less unsettled by mid-corner bumps, which is an issue with the Miata due to limited rear suspension travel (extended rear shock mounts help this which are OEM installed on the NB's).

I preferred the Miata's unfiltered manual steering over the Boxster, although the Boxster is light years ahead of the no-feel electric system in my Mk7 GTI.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote