View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
CN58

Porsche - There is no substitute... So true

I agree.. Porsche are very addicting.. Not many production cars that the average person can afford that give you the feeling these cars.. Even the Boxster.

I own a '99 Boxster and love it... Very well built car.. I would drive it anywhere, anytime..
Some kind of knock the older Boxster about performance.. I think they perform very well and I've owned a number of high performance automobiles in my life.

If you buy a Boxster used and don't have alot to spend, buy either a '98 or '99 Boxster. Make sure it's been well cared for and maintained. Right after you buy it, immediately replace the water pump (w/Porsche or Pierburg), install a 71C stat, and change the oil and filter.. Use a Porsche A40 designated oil, Good quality 5W40 (Motul, Joe Gibbs, Castrol). Don't forget new ring seal on oil drain plug. Always check the old filter very close looking for tiny flakes of metal.. If you see this, probably your IMS starting.. Be wary of the '97 Boxster, first year.. heard stories about cylinder sleeve problems.. Proceed with caution

The reason I say buy a '98 or '99 is that these engines for sure have the robust double row IMS bearing.. Porsche started using the single row bearings in 2000.. Some 2000's could have double row but really no way to know.. The IMS failure rate of the '97 through '99 Boxster is about 1%.. 2000 through 2005 IMS failure is about 8%.. That's scary.. If you buy one of these years, spend the extra money and put a new IMS and clutch in (Gott pull tranny to replace IMS) Have a certified shop do it.. Not a DIY job..

See note: According to information published about the Eisen IMS Class Action Lawsuit, the single row IMS bearing used in 2000 through 2005 model years is reported to have an 8% failure rate, versus less than 1% with the dual row IMS bearing used in the earlier model years. The 8% failure rate cited by the settlement documents is not far off of the calculated L10 life we have been using for the last 8 years! With half the load capacity, it is clear to see that the reduced load capacity of the single row IMS bearing is a significant contributing factor to the increased number of failures and that oiling alone is not the cause or solution to IMS issues.

Last note: No matter the year of the Boxster, if you change the clutch and pressure plate, go the distance and change the IMS bearing also.. You are 3/4 of the way there when doing a clutch.. Research the IMS..

LN is supposed to be good -

Dual Row IMS Retrofit Kit for MY97-01 LN Engineering
CN58 is offline   Reply With Quote