View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #26
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

As you can see from that thread, there IS a fix for the M96/M97 oiling problems, but it isn't easy or cheap. If you race an M96, no baffled pan, extra/bigger oil coolers, special oils, extra scavenge pumps, different AOS/catchcans or Accusump will fix the oiling problems. Chris of CTS has tried ALL of those and more even having a custom pan CNC cut, and none of them worked to any significant extent in endurance racing. I witnessed the carnage myself and saw most of his trials and tribulations. He went through a LOT of tests and had a bunch of engines lose bearings and whole engines in the process. He even put a clear oil pan on a Boxster and tilted the car every which way using a lift in ways it was not intended to see what was really going on in the engine. Another time he was at the track on an open track day intentionally over filling his car with oil (he got up to five extra quarts I believe - and no hydro-lock), and was still losing oil pressure in some situations according to his telemetry. I have never seen a guy so determined. Now he has a proven solution. It wouldn't be something I would do on a street car, but for a spec Boxster or endurance car I think it is a necessity. Chris did all the work, and I won't spill the beans as to his solution. Hopefully he will post it up in the thread you linked.

One thing I found really interesting is that the Boxster has a much worse problem with oiling than 911s due to the engine position. Apparently it does make a difference.

There is one possible thing to do which Chris hasn't tried that I suspect may help a bunch, and would be something that would be reasonable to do on a street or DE car. Perhaps I can convince him to give it a shot. I think all the parts needed are laying around.

Last edited by Qmulus; 03-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote