Thread: Oil Coolers?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Need_for_speed

Oil Coolers?

I'm gradually working towards getting my 2000 Base 2.7L prepped to run a few DE days each year, and I wanted to know if any of you folks are running oil coolers.

I've done a lot of research here and elsewhere regarding oil related problems during racing/DE. The possibly erroneous conclusion I've derived is that it's not oil quantity or oil starvation that causes the majority of issues, but rather, it's the temperature of the oil itself. I've been lurking on the racing forum and it seems to me that drivers who are running deep sumps, Accusumps, or third radiators all still experience issues.

What caught my eye was one avid DE driver who recorded 270 deg oil times after a 30 minute session on track. I did a bit more research and discovered that when oil overheats in the M96, it tends to aerate and end up in the AOS, causing smoke bombs, frying engine components, and potentially hydro-locking the motor.

My understanding is that the Boxster S oil cooler wouldn't fit, and from an engineering standpoint, it's really not a very effective method for cooling oil.

So, I'm considering the Bilt Racing Oil Cooler Delete...
Bilt Racing Oil Cooler Delete. For installing external oil cooler. Eliminates heat exchanger. M96/M97 only. - Bilt Racing Products - Products LN Engineering

...along with one of the Mocal coolers available from our forum sponsor (to include a fan and thermostat).

Anyone here running a setup like this?
Are my concerns about oil temps overblown or incorrect?

Keep in mind, I won't be doing any spec racing with this vehicle -- DE only -- so I don't have to worry about spec rules prohibiting coolers. Thanks!
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote