View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
REBible

99 and older Mechanical throttle adjustment not opening

I posted this on renslist a while back.. since the information is not widely available I thought I would post it here.

99 and older Mechanical throttle adjustment not opening
I could not find a good description any place on how to adjust the throttle linkage on the mechanical throttle linked boxsters.

Short story long I have been happily driving around since I bought my 99 a couple of years ago with 3/4 throttle. I stumbled into the problem when I finally hooked up the durametric scanner and saw only 60% wide open throttle. Further investigation showed the butterfly wasn't opening all the way.

Full open appears to be 80% on the durametric scanners. (from the web and it is consistent with the two throttle bodies I have).

Ok how do you adjust it. I couldn't find instructions and some people are even grinding off stops under their gas pedal to get more pedal travel. What I found is that if you trace the cable back from the throttle valve it goes into cam link box with the cable from the accelerator. This box is located on the left front firewall. It is easily accessible from the interior access panel.

If you reach down and grab the large ferrule on the top the box where the cable goes in and turn it CC, it unlatches and you can now slide it up and down. Slide it up until you have removed the cable slack and the tighten it clockwise. (!/4-1/2 turn to unlock and re-lock). I had to play around a while to get the slack out and still have a return to the idle stop, while also opening all the way..

Easiest horsepower I ever got.

Robert
REBible is offline   Reply With Quote