View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
jakeru

Don't forget about the option of US-M030. It has the added stiffness of ROW-M030, but more ride height. Good for avoiding scraping the bottom of the car over rough roads and speed bumps, driveway curb cuts, etc, and keeping the car from getting buried too often and too deeply onto the bump stops, especially if you are using vey sticky tires. If you ever think about autocrossing the car on an anywhere serious level, US-M030 is SCCA stock/street class legal.

Don't forget to renew the bump stops, as they disintegrate over time and are really a critical component of the system that often works. Having fresh and well-functioning bump stops may actually be more important for handling than spring selection. Having fresh shocks and replacing any rubber suspension bushings that are torn, or joints that have play is also important.

I also tracked down a funny handling behavior of my car where the steering angle would change a bit on braking, as ending up being caused by leaky rear tire sealing bead. These cars are sensitive enough in handling that maintaining proper air pressure is even important!

Hope the info helps. If you are looking into shocks, very happy with some Konis I recently put on my 986, and would recommend them at least as much as any Porsche OE German shock. The Koni sports are stiffer "sportier" feeling, and have an adjustable feature. The Koni FSD are super-digressive, so have a characteristic of being both "feeling soft" while effectively resisting body motion some, at the same time. Factory-style bilsteins or other German-brand Porshe OE shocks (Sachs, I think is the other brand that is OE for 986 shocks) are also very good quality.

All the shocks available for 986's - either aftermarket or OE - that are designed for factory-style springs will also be twin-tube design, which is good for ride comfort.