View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
Bfan

Garage
My adventures both on and off the race track

Last spring the first racetrack opened here in Iceland, my home country. It is a club track and it is only 1700m long (little over one mile) but we are planning and funding an extension as I write this. Mine was one of the first cars on the track and there were held weekly track days, through the summer, and into late autumn.

We had all kind of adventures both on and off the track, one unlucky Lexus owner totaled his car (driver was unhurt), another car had a fire from the turbine, we had a visit from a Danish race instructor, local TV-station came on visit and even interviewed me briefly.........my 3.6 engine broke down on my first day on Hoosier slicks.......it is in my garage, being rebuilt to 3.8 as I write this. I luckily had my old 3.2 as a spare, to quickly drop in.

I gradually rebuilt my car for track duty. I have been letting my fellow countrymen and friends follow my adventures both on the track and in my garage on a Facebook page, that is dedicated to the car. It is written in Icelandic (sorry about that), but there are some nice pictures of the both the car and the atmosphere, both on and off the track. A link to the Facebook page is here .

My brothers in arms quickly gave the car a name and called it "The Time machine" and it stuck to it.
It had a 3.6 engine and it has PSS9, 997 plenum, headers, Cayman airbox, GT3 brake airscoops, not to mention modified GT2 front bumper (yet to be painted), and 996 RS rear wing. I even fitted SQS sequential shifter to it. I run 245x18 front and 275x18 rear tires, with fenders that I have rolled. Some of these changes are less tasteful than others but they all have one thing in common, they make the car go faster.

I am building the 3.8 engine right now, hoping to be ready before the track opens in April, using Carrillo rods, all ARP bolts, Accusump and horizontally baffled deep sump. I am also considering putting a pair of extra scavenge pumps on the heads to work together with the OM pumps in the same way that the very expensive tandem pumps do, but using electric oil pumps as substitute for the tandem pumps as a cheaper solution. The mechanical OM style tandem pumps cost at least $ 4000 for the pair. I intend to install oil pressure gauge that I hope will help me monitor if all is working as it should, and hope that the engine will hold up to its duty next time around. Even though the electric pump brakes down, the OM scavenge pumps should be doing their job as intended.

There is no replacement for displacement
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote