View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #350
geraintthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillokBoy View Post
Okay, so the forum blocked my other account for having posted a link to a great tutorial about how to maintain your 986 yourself, sad...
So, I'm (was) BenWillok and I have to say Thanks a LOT for your feedback! I'll get my hands dirty right after work today and start changing and checking on those oils and filters
Yeah I found the added "S" sign looking idiotic too and I can't wait to remove it but then I'll need to think of the paint first, since the entire existing paint is a mess, they painted cheap black on top of original silver...
So I'm still hesitating between putting a nice brown colour like this (I know it's not the 986):

Or grey (I know it's not the 986 either but still looks amazing!):

Or blue:

Your opinion guys? :-)
You're going to paint it?!

Wow. If you're willing to spend that much money on it, be absolutely sure the car is mechanically perfect. You don't want to go spending thousands of dollars on something that could potentially break! But if you do, go for the grey

The colour it is now looks fine, give it a machine polish and it'll be gorgeous. You could then spend the money on something like the Aerokit for it, really make it look gorgeous.

Anyhoo. Slight problem for the MOT that's in two months, but it could be okay.

After installing my projectors, you'll notice that my sidelight bulbs have been completely obscured by the lens:

That's why I've installed the DRL's, so they act as sidelights. Unfortunately, I've found out that DRL's cannot be used as sidelights, so this setup would fail an MOT.

Luckily, due to the bizarre setup of the 996 and 986 headlight, the foglights are part of the main headlamp cluster as you know. The plan is to put much dimmer H7 bulbs (warm white LED for example) to match the brightness of a 501 W5W sidelight bulb, then wire those up to the sidelight loom.

The DRL's won't fail the MOT as they're not a testable item, but having no sidelights will. Front foglights also won't fail as they're not testable either, so this will completely solve the problem. I've just called the garage to confirm and they said as long as it's the same on both sides then they'll pass for a sidelight. Awesome.

I don't think I'd want those two lights to light up as sidelights all the time, but for the MOT it'll be fine. When I come to sell the car in the future, I'll just wire the DRL's as the front foglights and the original foglights as sidelights with smaller bulbs, like previously mentioned. Then all lighting will be covered and the new owner will be able to ignore everything and carry on as normal.

So yeah, didn't see that one coming! Should be fine though.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote