View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #108
WorkInProgressK

Quote:
Originally Posted by imon_2nd View Post
Great thread! I agree with most of it, except the guys who think they need special mirrors.
The past couple of years, I've been doing track days at Thunderhill in Willows, CA, using a heavily modified Miata. Tons O Fun, for sure. The only problem I've had there is Turn 3 where the road's camber is reversed. The Bridgestone RE-11s don't give any clue before they break loose. Would be nice if they made some warning noise. My wife actually got the car sideways at that spot on one of her runs.
I'd like to run my 2004 Boxster S at the track, but the car feels like it needs better shocks and springs, compared to my Miata. I might try the box as-is and see how far off the mark I am before modifying it.
The main thing I've learned at the track is, tires make a huge difference, as does track temperature and tire temperature. Unless it's 100 degrees out there, warm up your tires before pushing the limits. Summer tires on a cold day don't stick as well even after they warm up.
My stock 2001 boxster S was a blast at Chuckwalla. Same as you, I drive a car that is heavily modified, but enjoyed the feeling of literally leaning the car in the corners. To the point the inside front wheel wasn't working hard. That is where I was 2 seconds faster without PSM then with PSM. PSM would freak out.

Btw, I wouldn't suggest anyone new to porsche's or rear engine cars to run without PSM. Especially, if they are new to HPDE. The mix of rear weight balance and endless rear traction(265s over 225s in the front.) allowed me to pivot while trail braking. I race a lot of sim racing and I am highly proficient with rear engine cars(maintenance throttle cornering cars) and it translated extremely well into real life.
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote