Thread: Creaking strut
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #24
ttomtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkInProgressK View Post
Honestly, I would probably just bond it in the right location and call it a day(strong epoxy) . That rubber piece just acts as a spherical joint allowing the shaft to change axis without binding. The reason it failed as you can spot by the polished surfaces is micro compression cracks. Porsche lower control arms are also notorious for that. Its when the loading and unloading especially in compression creates tiny cracks that get bigger and bigger with time. I know Aluminium is a different material, but it is the easiest one to spot.

That is why when you sprayed lubricant it stopped making noise. The rubber surfaces stopped working against each other vs stretching as you were theorizing.

As long as the rest of the rubber looks good, go ahead and glue them back together and enjoy the cheap fix.
Wow, thank you for your scientific explanation WorkInProgressK!
What you say makes a lot of sense and is totally in line with what I've experienced and theorized. This issue didn't effect the handling of the car at all. If there had not been the creak I would have never noticed something was wrong. I suppose these bushings are in the same condition in most 986s they just don't creak. The shaft in my other strut can also be turned a bit in both directions and makes the same creak while rotating still it doesn't make the creak while driving.

If anyone feels like contributing please just remove the rubber cap and try turning the 21mm nut on top of the strut.

Btw, I've already replaced the strut mount I just didn't have time to take & post photos of the old one before.
ttomtom is offline   Reply With Quote